Baby Finn

(Right before we went to the hospital Fri night)

( 40 weeks and 2 days)

Finn was born on Aug 10, 2013 at 1:25 pm weighing 8 lbs 1 oz and 21.25 in. long. I went into labor on the 9th after I went in for acupuncture to help induce labor. 2 hours after my appointment I was headed to pick up Addy's quilt and the contractions started. They were staying pretty consistent about 5 min apart. I called Christian and told him to come home and Jamie and I went to TJ Maxx to shop around for a bit. We were on the hunt for new towels and rugs for my bathroom and some sports shirts for the nieces and nephews.  

We picked Christian up from the train at 4:45 and went home to get my things and head for the hospital. I decided to take my time since the contractions were not hurting. I got in a quick bath, curled my hair, and painted my nails. We finally left to head up to the hospital around 7:30 pm. We got all checked in and of course I had not dilated yet. I was still barely a 1 and the nurse said I was dehydrated which was maybe causing my contractions. The nurse was going to start an IV to get me some fluids in hopes things would progress. She blew a vein on the first arm which made me pass out! I am not sure I should have watched her digging in my for the vein. Another nurse was able to find a better one in my other arm and we just had to sit there and wait until I had two bags of fluid. She checked me again and I still had not progressed any further. The fluid had spaced my contractions out 10-12 min apart. I was seriously heart broken! I thought for sure I was having a baby that night. They sent me home at 12:30 am with the instructions of coming back up when my contractions were back to 5 min apart for an hour straight and the pain was more intense.

This made me really nervous because the contractions at this point were starting to hurt. I couldn't imagine what the pain would be when they were back to 5 min apart. I labored all through the night having a contraction about every 10 min. It was the longest night ever! Right when I would fall asleep I would wake up in pain. Some time around 3:30 am I got in a hot bath in hopes it would stop my contractions. I just wanted to be able to sleep. The bath didn't last long because my contractions were getting more intense and I couldn't just sit there. I don't remember a ton between 7-9 am. I could hear my kids running around playing but I was delirious from being awake all night. I finally couldn't lay there anymore because the contractions were more consistent and were really hurting. By the time my contractions were back to 5 min apart and I had timed them for an hour, I was more than ready to go to the hospital. At this point I was crying through all the contractions from the pain and from being so scared. 

We finally left the house around 11:20 am. It takes around 20-25 min to get to the hospital. I tried to focus on my breathing while we were driving there. It definitely helped a ton. Plus I was trying to get some makeup on. (I know I am crazy!) We arrived at the hospital and my anxiety kicked in full gear. I was in so much pain, excited, and scared to death. I couldn't hold back the tears any longer! I hated walking into the hospital with everyone staring at me as I stopped to hold the wall to get through a contraction. When we got to labor and delivery they rushed me back without making us check in. They got a blood sample quickly and then the nurse checked me and I was almost an 8. I told her I was a VBAC and that I really needed my epidural. She told me I had waited too long to come in and there probably wasn't going to be any time for one. This scared me to death! I was not planning to go natural and I was worried to feel anything if I had any complications from my previous c-section.

They rushed us into a delivery room and the mood was pretty intense. I had the most amazing nurse in there! She was very quick and efficient and validated all the emotions I was going through. She told me she would put an order in for my epidural anyways. They were waiting for my labs to come back before the anesthesiologist could be paged. It felt like an eternity! She finally came in the room and I couldn't have been more happy to see her. She had me sit on the side of the bed and put the epidural in my back. I turned back around to lay on the bed and she went over to chart the meds. She started to ask me if I could feel anything right when Dr. Rogers walked in the door. I had never met her before and I was stressed because Dr. Morrison was not on call. She checked me and I was complete. I started to freak out because I was in so much pain and I wanted to wait until the epidural kicked in before I started pushing. I was scared of feeling everything especially if I ruptured. She told me if I would just push the baby would be here in minutes and it would be way before I felt any relief from the epidural. I agreed to have the epidural turned off and to start pushing. Unfortunately the epidural wasn't on long enough to get through my body to numb anywhere at all.

The pain I was experiencing is something I can not describe! At the time it was the worst pain I had ever felt. The contractions my nurse helped me breath through were more bearable. As soon as I lost focus the intense pain was right there. I wished I could have learned to breath and go to my happy place before hand. It would have really helped me! I did 4 rounds of 3 pushes and the baby was here. I could have had him out sooner if I wouldn't have held back and tried holding him in from the pain. It's amazing what our bodies can do. It all went by so fast now when I think of it. Once the baby was out I felt zero pain. It was unreal! My room was very calm once I started pushing. My Dr and nurse were absolutely amazing! They kept me calm and talked very soft and helped me the best they could. Christian hardly said a word through any of it. He was so scared for me and worried because of the pain I was having.

 It was amazing that I got to hold Finn immediately. I didn't get to do that with my other two babies. Such a sweet tender time seeing him and finally holding him for the first time. He was everything I hoped he would be. Exactly how I pictured he would look like. I love that he has features of both Addy and Benson.  Christian took almost all the pictures while we were in the hospital. He did a great job! 

I was so excited for the kids to come up and meet their baby brother. I knew Addy had a better understanding of what was going on because of all the questions she had asked throughout my pregnancy. I wanted them to also see that I was ok. When I left the house I was crying and I did not want them to be worried. Benson came running in the room and the first thing he said to me was "let me see your tummy." Of course they both loved Finn. Benson could not get in enough kisses. Addy was so sweet and gentle with him. She did not want to give him up. Benson has an obsession with smelling things just like his mom. While grandma was holding Finn, Benson asked if he could smell his diaper. Haha! Such a crazy boy! Before he left Benson asked "Do we get to keep him?"  

I had a really great hospital stay and my nurses took amazing care of me. I felt like I didn't have any time to rest while I was there. I had a nurses in and out of my room constantly. I had two that would just come in and hold the baby and want to chat. They loved the quilts I had made and wanted to talk crafting and pictures. It was really fun but I had zero alone time with just Chris and the baby.  Plus I was exhausted!

 Dave and Jamie brought the kids up Monday to get their pictures taken and see the baby before we were discharged. They both couldn't wait to get their hands on Finn. I was so happy when it was time to go home. I couldn't wait to be in my own bed again. 

(first day home)

I was so excited to get home and hold my baby in my new chair. I finally got a recliner to rock and feed the baby in. It is so comfy! I had wanted one with all my babies, but for some reason or another we never ended up getting one. 

3 days old

The first afternoon home I had to snap a few pictures. I did't really get to take the pictures that I wanted to in the hospital. I love his sweet little face!

No comments: